Industry provides key recommendations to strengthen government’s Blue Economy Strategy
Halifax, June 15, 2021 – In response to the Government of Canada’s consultation on its Blue Economy strategy, Marine Renewables Canada has provided a submission that outlines a vision for the marine renewable energy sector and key actions to support its growth. The recommended actions will help ensure that marine renewable energy plays an important role in two of Canada’s key priorities – building the Blue Economy and fighting climate change.
The country’s largely untapped marine renewable energy resources offer the potential to drive Canada’s Blue Economy strategy in a way that no other ocean sector can. Tides, waves, rivers, and offshore wind can generate clean power, reduce emissions, slow ocean acidification, sea level rise and coastal erosion, boost the ocean industry supply chain, and support the ocean sector’s transition to net zero.
“We applaud the federal government for pursuing a strategy that will support sustainable growth of our ocean industries,” said Elisa Obermann, executive director of Marine Renewables Canada. “Canada’s marine renewable energy resources have enormous potential to deliver on economic recovery and decarbonization agendas, but there is still a lot of work to be done to address challenges and advance the sector. This submission highlights what can be achieved with the right supports in place.”
Marine Renewables Canada’s submission to the federal government’s Blue Economy strategy consultation provides information on the benefits of the sector, opportunities Canada can realize through developing marine renewable energy resources, current barriers to sector growth, and steps that can be taken to support the sector’s potential.
The submission offers six key recommendations:
- Establish a champion department within the federal government tasked with building the sector from an economic development
- Provide support to help reduce development and permitting risks for marine renewable energy projects.
- Establish targeted financing and funding mechanisms for marine renewable energy R&D, technology demonstration, and project development.
- Foster and facilitate remote community and off-grid marine renewable energy opportunities by establishing tools and process for industry and communities.
- Support Canadian engagement in domestic and international offshore wind energy development.
- Grow Canada’s marine renewable energy sector by fostering international collaboration.
The full submission “Clean, Blue Energy: Powering Canada’s Blue Economy with Marine Renewable Energy” can be viewed here.
About Marine Renewables Canada
Marine Renewables Canada is the country’s tidal, offshore wind, wave and river current energy association representing technology and project developers, utilities, researchers, and the energy and marine supply chain. Since 2004, the organization has worked to identify and foster collaborative opportunities, provide information and education, and represent the best interests of the sector to advance the development of a marine renewable energy industry in Canada that can be globally competitive.
More at www.marinerenewables.ca
– 30 –
Contact: Amanda White
Marine Renewables Canada